January 29th-February 4th, 2017
Culinary & Artisanal Abundance in Mexico
Mexico City stands on what was once Tenochtitlán: an area dotted with lakes that were surrounded by villages, much resembling Venice at the time. A majestic maze of architecture and commerce, the city was razed and rebuilt by Hernan Cortés who laid the foundation for the city we now know.
Today, Mexico City offers visitors a dizzying array of markets, street food, and art that are steeped in pre-Colombian history. Yes, Cortés left his mark, but the indigenous vibe is still felt in the pulse of this exceptional city.
Although Puebla is Mexico’s fourth largest city, visitors are welcomed with an easy warmth. Her Colonial roots are evident in the Spanish and Moorish architecture and the prevalence of Talavara pottery, which the Spaniards learned of from the Moors. Often described as vibrant and charming, Puebla’s zócalo, or main square, offers visitors an opportunity to soak up the Poblano spirit.
This substantial itinerary delivers the best of Mexico City’s street food, time spent with the murals of Diego Rivera and the art of Frida Kahlo in her private residence, exclusive market tours and cooking classes, a custom tour of Xochimilco to glimpse Mexico as it may have been as Tenochititlán, behind-the-scenes visits in private homes for classes and introduction to the area, with free time to explore on your own.
Your Route Includes:
- 7 nights accommodation at properties chosen for their charm and location
- A welcome reception in a private home with a custom introduction to the city
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner and/or snacks daily
- Ground transportation while on The Route
- 6 excursions to museums and other important sites
- 2 cooking classes
- 4 cooking demonstrations
- Personally guided street food and taco crawl events
- Custom tour of Xochimilco
- 2 visits to see how local artistic traditions are maintained and produced
- Farewell dinner at an exclusive restaurant, considered to be one of the world's finest
- The flexibility for our group to take advantage of something interesting that may come along.
PLEASE Keep In Mind:
- As the number of participants is limited, early registration is advised.
- Price: $3800 per person. Limited to 12 persons, minimum of 8.
- Price is based on double occupancy. Single room supplement is $400.
- A non-refundable deposit of $1300 is due at registration.
- Final payment is due October 4th, 2016.
- Tour dates are Sunday, January 29th—Saturday, February 4th, 2017 departure.
- A complete itinerary and packet of trip materials will be provided upon full receipt of payment, prior to departure.
- Trip insurance is highly advised.
- Please do not make travel arrangements until the trip has been confirmed to you by Kitchen Routes.
- Airfare to/from Mexico City is not included.
- Airport: Mexico City International Airport